May 4, 2010

Jana made this

A little while back I was commissioned to make a Gold Medal in the 2010 Olympic style.

When I started this project I had a completely different idea as to how it would come together.

But when I started working on the original plan for it, it was just NOT coming together as I expected it to.

So I ended up scrapping the first version and redoing it from scratch. Which turned out to be the right thing to do because when I handed it over my client was really happy with it.





I had all these grand plans of laser etching it. But it turns out that laser etching brass is harder than I though so I ended up using my electric engraver and doing it by hand. It took a little bit longer than I thought it would (I had to take breaks every 15 minutes or so from the vibrations from the engraver shooting up my arm!), but I am happy with the results.

(I made a couple of design decisions to make it a little different from the actual Olympic medals so there wouldn't be any copyright issues, but so that it would still feel like something that an Olympian would have received on the podium)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...