Jun 14, 2007

recipe for ginger...

I had a little birdie ask for the recipe for this so here you go!
It's so easy.

1. Peel and chop fresh ginger into your desired shape. (we like thin slices ourselves, but you can also dice it up)
About 1 cup total

2. Boil 1 cup of water and 1 1/3 cups of sugar. It seems like a lot of sugar, but it all melts into the water in no time.

3. Add the chopped ginger and bring back to a boil. Simmer for about an hour. The original recipe I was using said to simmer for 2o minutes, but I found that it was still too spicy. And if you let it simmer down for an hour or so, you are left with a lovely ginger syrup as well. So good!
(I threw a big scoop of honey in there too, for extra flavour. Not neccessary, but I think it added a little something)

And keep an eye on it while it's simering. I tried it with the lid on, but it boils over and gets all over everything. I ended up leaving the element on about 5-6 and left the lid off. That seemed to work the best.

4. Once the ginger is finished simmering, strain out the leftover syrup and toss the ginger in sugar to coat. Let cool.
After it's cooled, you get to COVER IT IN CHOCOLATE. Oh yes.

I just melted some Tropical Source Semi Sweet chips in a double boiler, just until melted and then spooned it onto the ginger pieces. But I am going to try just pouring the chocolate over the ginger like a bar or brittle next time. A higher chocolate to ginger ratio that way!
I kept it in the fridge. Although I can't tell you how long it might last, because we have already finished off 2 batches. In a weekend.

It's that good!

Happy Candy making!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...